Friday, March 28, 2008

Never gonna do it without my fez on ...

Sometimes, a truck show is exactly what you expect. Folks in truckers caps with cowboy boots and big belt buckles. A parade of life member jackets. A lady with enough hat pins to weigh down a battleship.

However, sometimes at a truck show, you see things that simply blow your mind.

A few examples:
  • A man cruising the aisles on a Segway;
  • A trucker wearing a pink fez;
  • And a truck driver who wears kilts.

The Segway – those wild, futuristic personal scooters that wheel you about while standing up – is a pretty expensive toy. In this case, at least one trucker at the show figured he could save his feet by using one. I wanted to talk with him about his conveyance, but I couldn’t catch up.

Now, about that hat … I was talking with Jeff McConnell and James Mennella – the guys from Road Law – when I saw the pink fez bobbing about just over other folks’ heads in the long, black-carpeted rows of the North Wing.

I remember saying to Jeff, “I takes a confident man to wear a fez at all. It takes a truly confident man to wear a pink fez.”

About an hour later, here comes the hat again – this time on Jeff McConnell’s head.

Turns out the hat belongs to a group of Shriners at the show, and one of them was willing to share their unique headgear with a wondering lawyer.

And finally, our kilted trucker. If it takes a confident man to wear a pink fez, think of the enormous confidence of a man who wears a kilt at a truck show.

Our kilted friend is a good few inches over 6 feet tall – possibly 6-foot-5 – but he’s also a good friendly sort. He is not, however, a Scot. He just thinks that the kilt is a darn practical piece of clothing … wash-and-wear and comfortable as heck, plus plenty of pockets to keep your wallet and keys in.

He offered to hook me up with the folks who make the kilts, said I should try it out.

I declined as politely as I could. He can get away with it, I suspect. No one with half a brain gives too much trouble to a 6-foot-5 trucker. Me? Even if I were willing to give it a try, if I did, I’d never hear the end of it.

Besides … if there’s one thing I want to spare the world from, it’s the sight of me in a blue denim kilt.

No comments: