I've never known how many miles I've walked at The Show. With press conferences and go-to events scattered from end to end, it seems like hundreds. Thursday morning I clipped on a pedometer and promptly forgot about it. Probably a good thing. By that evening, I was up to 6.72 miles - not much if you're into marathons - but not bad if you're chasing stories. No wonder my feet are tired.There are many more attendees than I expected to see. Some of them came with their trucks, others left the trucks at home and came anyway. I've met people from right around the corner and across the globe. Truckers from Australia and Denmark chatting with drivers from Illinois and Oklahoma. Concern for the industry and its rising operating costs permeates the air. Everyone is feeling the effects. I heard comments ranging from, "I'm shut down and out of business," to "I have a good haul and I'm still making good money."
Torrential downpours chased all but the hardiest souls and truck beauty contest competitors and their judges indoors, but when the showers subsided, folks ventured back outside to investigate the outdoor displays, show trucks and grab a "poke chop sammich."
There's still plenty of chrome, stainless and optimism to be had. Truck beauty contest participants are proactive positive forces. Their trucks reflect their passions and their pride. A good looking, well maintained ride still reassures shippers and receivers that their freight is also in good hands.
The parking lots are full. There's optimism out there. Things will get better. I believe that.
No comments:
Post a Comment